Thursday, November 22, 2007

Baby it's cold outside!

I can't believe how cold it is...okay, wait, I can't believe how cold it feels. I hate that transition from later fall to winter. The first day it hits the -10Âșc mark and everyone starts running around digging out their mitts, hats and scarves...that's when you know there is no hope and winter is on it's way.

But, the upside is that there is snow. I do like snow. It makes everything look so clean and peaceful. I love being outside at night after a fresh snowfall when it is crisp and the moon is bright. It is silent. It is the silence that is perfect, refreshing and calming. It is the cold that you see your breath in. It is the crispness and the cool blue that falls over everything that makes me like winter.

The Puggies, on the other hand, aren't too happy with the outside lately. This is Stella's first winter and I don't think she knew what to do when I opened the door at 7:00 the other morning. She bounded down the stairs to the door and promptly stopped...well, her front end did anyway. When her back end caught up to her front she did a kind of summer salt out the door in to the snow, jumped up, turned tail and headed back to the door. Guinness on the other hand sniffed...sniiiiiiffffed....sniffed, sneezed and decided it was okay to proceed. When they finally made it to the back yard, it was a Puggy Winter Wonderland Free for All and they chased each other, rolled in the fluffy white that had covered the ground and then both came in looking like wet rats.

I guess that's what it's like for us all...a few sniffs, a quick adjustment to the icy chill and then back to living in the deep freeze for the next few months. Everything still, everything silent, everything calm.

No comments: