Friday, January 18, 2008

One small step

So in a comment she wrote on one of my blog posts where I was once again daydreaming of owning my own studio/business, Kal said,

"Seriously, dude. Just quit your job and live the life you dream of. It's reachable."

I thought about it, and she's right. She rules! I am, for the first time, not terrified of the concept of working on my own. Of course, I mean there's all the scary things, like where's the business gonna come from? How do I effectively beat clients for money they owe me? Blah, blah, blah....too scary, don't want to think about that right now.

So, I thought I should create some kind of identity and at least a logo and business card. So, here is the very small first step toward the life I dream of.

Introducing, Bean Graphic Design.
Why Bean? Who is Bean? Beans are good?

I was struggling a bit to find a great name that meant something to me and that was, at the same time, still a good business name. Bean is the nickname my Dad calls me. Like when he calls he'll say "Hey Bean, whassup?". After doing the logo and card design, I finally asked my mom why he calls me bean. Her response? First they called me Kid....then Kidney....then came Kidney Bean...and finally dad just settled on.....Bean. The funny thing is, my Dad's name is John, so my brother and I call him Johno (a term of endearment, not a lack of respect in anyway). So, he started calling me Beano...nice, an anti-gas product. Maybe it's because I am full of hot air? Maybe I diffuse gaseous situations? Hmmm.... I digress....

Bean also reminded me of that experiment you do in school where you plant the tiny bean in a plastic cup and watch it sprout, send roots down, grab hold and grow like crazy. It was one of the coolest things I remembered as a kid, and it made me happy.

At any rate, I took my first step and Bean Graphic Design was born. Now, a million more little steps and I will be living the dream!

3 comments:

Tammy Chomiak-Robson said...

Trace all I have to say is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!

Way to go!

Honestly I know you can do this and I love the whole concept/idea behind the name.

I am also in the process of doing my website and cards. Its a scary concept, but its so worth it.

You have my support and love all the way!

kal said...

Dude!
That is so awesome. Triple Arm Pump. Seriously - you can do this.

I can help.

Anonymous said...

beans beans the musical fruit... I kid. It turned out very well.